Baby Pigeons: One of the Greatest of Urban Mysteries

Question: Has anyone ever seen a baby pigeon? Better yet. Has anyone ever seen a nest? A pigeon egg? I have never seen one in my life yet the number of regular sized flying rats has numbered in the thousands. Adults surround me. Miniature versions of pigeons I have never seen in my life. Come to think of it. I have never even seen a small pigeon.

Why is this? Where are all the pigeon nests to justify the abundance of pigeons that surround us at bus stations, get trapped in supermarkets, hop along next to swerving buses, flirting with their own mortality with a devil may care attitude...

Where are the pigeons hiding their children?

One theory of mine is that they emerge fully formed. As biologically ridiculous as this sounds, I think the theory might be worth investigating. Perhaps there is no small pigeon but they have simply figured out a new method of reproduction and that the fully formed birds are just walking clones. Another possibility could be that they do not want us to find their nests in some massive avarian conspiracy. An even creepier proposition that displays hints of Hitchcokian paranoia.

My third and final solution to the baby pigeon mystery is that they do not regenerate at all but are simply immortal or reincarnated. This also makes a little bit of sense to me, as pigeons, especially in Paris, ten to be representatives of the walking wounded. The poor things often have a foot missing or are swervig into things like they have had too many tequila shots.

What is the answer? Where are the baby pigeons. If anyone has found a pigeon nest in Paris. Tell me and I will rush out right now to investigate. I suspect you would just be lying to make a name for yourself. Because baby pigeons, eggs, and nests do not exist. And what is worse, city pigeons mock me in my perplexed state.

Comments