This is a Big In-Your-Face Poster Saying We Are Sold Out

Paris -- SOLD OUT

I was in the metro today and ran across a poster for an upcoming concert by Michael Bublé which was SOLD OUT. I guess he's moved on from the Sheraton. Where are the African Americans doing this kind of music by the way? They've moved on.

Anyway, the promoters wanted me desperately to know that it was SOLD OUT so that even if I liked white jazz artists reinventing white jazz, well that was just tough titty. I couldn't go, even if I wanted to. Because -- it was -- SOLD OUT.

Why do they need to tell me this?

Well I guess I know what the intended effect is. Concert promoters want desperately to tell their potential audience out there that even if you wanted to go to these gigs with all your heart, you wouldn't be able to. This is the "I want what I can't have" principal and it is supposed to create demand. The urge so that the next time the King of The Sheraton comes by, he can pack the houses with people who could not get into the exclusive party the first time around. I know how it works, believe me. And I know most people get turned on by this crap but I get pissed.

If you sold out your concert, good for you. But do not tell the world about it. It's the equivalent of the asshole guy at the country club, with his sweater tied around his neck telling the wino with the bad teeth outside, digging through the trash, to get a job. Am I being too harsh?

Hey! Guess what! I'm throwing the biggest party in Paris next week. It's going to be off the hook. There will be free Absinthe and bikini clad amazon women swinging from chandeleers. All the latest buzz and hoopla. Everyone is invited to the shindig of the year !!!

Except one group of people:

Those concert promoters who spend money on telling me I can't come to the Michael Bublé concert. They're not invited. You know why? It's SOLD OUT.

Like it? No. You see how it feels?

Guess what I'm also going to do. I'm going to make the best ice cream in this city and tell people I'm giving it away and then leave town.

Are you also the kind of people who shout from the top of the open limo that you're riding in a limo. I think so.

This blog is SOLD OUT. By the way.

Comments