COMMON GROUND

COMMON GROUND

A group of Al Queda recruiters huddle at a corner table in a Marakesh tavern. They have been trying to get Americans to become operatives for sometime and they are growing weary. A meet has been scheduled though with a promising recruit who sent in a great video and resume. He goes by the name of Brad.

The young American steps into the den and scans the room, quickly spotting the terrorists and sits down at their table.

The terrorists smile. They cannot hide their excitement. The stranger looks perfect for their terrorist needs. He is whiter and plumper than they could have hoped for and when he speaks, they detect a thick, hillbilly accent. Brad appears to be a beer guzzling red blooded American cliche. Nobody will ever suspect a man like this of plotting Jihad. The terrorists cannot believe their luck.

The leader says they have some final questions first and ask him to reaffirm his commitment to their cause.

The American nods.

"Without question, yes. I am committed to your cause....I told you that already in the video."

The bearded freedom fighters are impressed by his insistence. It was a good video. But they are not satisfied yet. They keep probing for weaknesses. They ask him if he is prepared to kill thousands... Again he responds "yes already . Thousands, millions. Whatever it takes, I'm on board. Just tell me what you want me to do."

"It is good that you are enthused Brad", says the leader of the group. "But we must trust you. And in order to trust you we must know why you are doing this...Are you a devoted muslim?"

"No", the man says. I am a Christian. Jesus is great. I got no qualms against him. Been a devoted church goer all my life."

"I see" said the leader of the group, believing now that they had found a crack in the man's veneer.

"How about America? Obviously you hate the great Satan then?"

"Oh I got no problem with Uncle Sam. I love my country. Always have. Always will."

"I do not understand", said a subordinate. "Surely then, you must be doing it only for the money. Like all of your kind."

"Nope. That ain't it either. I'm not doing it for the cash. You guys ain't paying so good anyway."

"I don't get it.", said the leader, rising to his feet. "Why are you here?"

"It's real simple..." The man paused, thinking the answer evident.

"I support your take on women."

Comments