Shrink myself to dine (A poem about bistro dining in Paris)

Shrink myself to dine
(A poem about bistro dining in Paris)


There really is a lot of unused space in this bistro
Plenty of room for everyone
Over there is an empty table
They are saving it for the hypothetical
Why is this guy’s ass in my face?
Why do we have to be elbow to elbow? knee to balls?
Smoke in my nostrils, in my mouth, I am not smoking
I should start. Get some of the benefits
There really are too many human bodies at this table
Totally unnecessary
No one seems as big and as cumbersomely misplaced as me
Everyone else are pint sized munchkins grown expressly for the Parisian scene
Feel like a gerbil in a gerbil slaughter factory
No one else seems to mind
“No! Please! Don’t add another chair to this table!”
For the love of God
That guy found a new place setting at our table
I thought it couldn't be done
He found a way
He carved out a new piece of social real estate out of nothing
My sleeve in your dinner
Close enough to kiss with none of the impulse

Comments